Fluorescence Microscopy Literature References
In the rapidly expanding fields of cellular and molecular biology, widefield and confocal fluorescence illumination and observation is becoming one of the techniques of choice. These techniques, which are almost universally employed in both the medical and biological sciences, have spurred the development of more sophisticated microscopes and numerous fluorescence accessories.
- Lichtman, J. W. and Conchello, J. A. Fluorescence Microscopy. Nature Methods 2: 910-919 (2005).
- Michalet, X., Kapanidis, A. N., Laurence, T., Pinaud, F., Doose, S., Pflughoefft, M. and Weiss, S.The power and prospects of fluorescence microscopies and spectroscopies. Annual Review of Biophysics and Biomolecular Structure 32: 161-182 (2003).
- Petty, H. R. Fluorescence microscopy: established and emerging methods, experimental strategies, and application in immunology. Microscopy Research and Technique 70: 687-709 (2007).
- Stelzer, E. H. K. Contrast, resolution, pixelation, dynamic range and signal-to-noise ratio: fundamental limits to resolution in fluorescence light microscopy. Journal of Microscopy189: 15-24 (1998).
- Stelzer, E. H. I. Contrast, resolution, pixelation, dynamic range and signal-to-noise ratio: Fundamental limits to resolution in fluorscence light microscopy. Journal of Microscopy189: 15-24 (1998).
- Haustein, E. and Schwille, P. Trends in fluorescence imaging and related techniques to unravel biological information. HFSP Journal 1: 169-180 (2007).
- Wouters, F. S. The physics and biology of fluorescence microscopy in the life sciences.Contemporary Physics 47: 239-255 (2006).
- Brown, C. M. Fluorescence microscopy: avoiding the pitfalls. Journal of Cell Science 120:1703-1705 (2007).
- Coling, D. and Kachar, B. Principles and Application of Fluorescence Microscopy. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology 14.10.1-14.10.44 (2003).
- Wolf, D. E. Fundamentals of fluorescence and fluorescence microscopy. Methods in Cell Biology 81: 63-91 (2007).
- North, A. J. Seeing is believing? A beginners' guide to practical pitfalls in image acquisition. Journal of Cell Biology 172: 9-18 (2006).
- Waters, J. C. Accuracy and precision in quantitative fluorescence microscopy. Journal of Cell Biology 185: 1135-1148 (2009).
Additional Literature Sources
- Resch-Genger, U., Hoffmann, K. and Hoffmann, A. Standardization of fluorescence measurement: Criteria for the choice of suitable standards and approaches for fit-for-purpose calibration tools. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1130: 35-43 (2008).
- Coling, D. and Kachar, B. Theory and application of fluorescence microscopy. Current Protocols in Neuroscience 2: 2.1-2.24 (2007).
- Fricker, M., Runions, J. and Moore, I. Quantitative fluorescence microscopy: From art to science. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 79-107 (2006).
Books and Book Chapters
- Spring, K. R. Fluorescence microscopy. in Encyclopedia of Optical Engineering, Marcel Dekker, New York, New York, pages 548-555 (2003).
- Goldys, E. M. Fluorescence Applications in Biotechnology and Life Sciences. Wiley-Blackwell, New York, New York, 367 pages (2009).
- Rost, F. and Oldfield R. Phase-contrast microscopy. in Photography with a Microscope, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom, pages 131-136 (2000).