Linear Measurements (Micrometry) Selected References
In addition to basic linear measurements, the optical microscope is often employed to measure the area or volume of a specimen and for counting particles and fibers. Several books and review articles focused on micrometry and stereology been published by leading researchers in the field and were utilized as references to prepare the measurement discussions included in the MicroscopyU website. This section contains periodical location information about these articles, as well as providing a listing of selected review articles and books describing quantitative microscopy.
- Reticles., Ruzin, S. in Plant Microtechnique and Microscopy, Oxford University Press, New York, pages 277-279 (1999).
- Basic measurement., Foster, B. in Optimizing Light Microscopy for Biological and Clinical Laboratories, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, Dubuque, Iowa, pages 97-103 (1997).
- How to use the microscope eyepiece reticle., Technical Staff, Nikon Instrument Group, Inc., Melville, NY, pages 1-9 (1997).
- Measurement, projection drawing, video microscopy, stereology: Factors affecting image magnification., Oldfield, R., Light Microscopy: An Illustrated Guide, Mosby-Year Book Europe, Ltd., London, England, pages 75-88 (1994).
- Micrometry and fundamentals of microstereology., Pluta, M., in Advanced Light Microscopy: Volume 3, Measuring Techniques, Elsevier (PWN Polish Scientific Publishers), New York, pages 1-89 (1993).
- Quantitative analysis of microscopic images., James, J. and Tanke, H., Biomedical Light Microscopy, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Massachusetts, pages 127-158 (1991).
- Quantitative microscopy., Richardson, J. in Handbook for the Light Microscope: A User's Guide, Noyes Publications, Park Ridge, New Jersey, pages 221-295 (1991).
- Linear measurement in the microscope., Determann, H. and Lepusch, F. in The Microscope and its Application, Ernst Leitz Wetzlar, Inc., Deerfield, Illinois, pages 49-51 (1988).
- Micrometry., Marmasse, C., Microscopes and Their Uses, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Inc., New York, 299-320 (1980).
- Measuring microscopes., McLaughlin, R., Special Methods in Light Microscopy, Microscope Publications, Ltd., Chicago, Illinois, pages 274-294 (1977).
- Measuring and counting., McLaughlin, R. in Accessories for the Light Microscope Microscope Publications, Ltd., Chicago, Illinois, pages 83-123 (1975).
- Micrometry, counting chambers and cells. Finders for the microscope., Needham, G., in The Practical Use of the Microscope, Including Photomicrography, Charles C. Thomas Publishers, Springfield, Illinois, pages 359-380 (1958).
- Magnification and micrometry., Gage, S. in The Microscope, Comstock Publishing Company, Ithaca, New York, pages 279-316 (1947).
- Units of length in microscopy., Shillaber, C. in Photomicrography in Theory and Practice, John Wiley and Sons, New York, pages 37-50 (1944).
- Measuring objects with the microscope and the unit of measurement used by microscopists., Spitta, E. in Microscopy. The Construction, Theory, and Use of the Microscope, John Murray, Albemarle Street, London, United Kingdom, pages 261-271 (1909).
Books and Book Chapters
- Image Cytometry., Chieco, P. Jonker, A., and Van Noorden, C., BIOS Scientific Publishers and Springer-Verlag, New York, 116 pages (2001).
- Practical Stereology., Russ, J. and DeHoff, R., Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, 381 pages (2000).
- Unbiased Stereology: Three-Dimensional Measurement in Microscopy., Howard, C. and Reed, M., BIOS Scientific Publishers and Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., New York, 246 pages (1998).
- Basic Measurement Techniques for Light Microscopy., Bradbury, S., Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom, 97 pages (1991).
- Computer-Assisted Microscopy. The Measurement and Analysis of Images., Russ, J., Plenum Press, New York, 453 pages (1990).
- An Introduction to Applications of Light Microscopy in Analysis., Simpson, D. and Simpson, W., The Royal Society of Chemistry, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London, 215 pages (1988).
- Quantitative Microscopy., DeHoff, R. and Rhines, F. (eds), McGraw-Hill Series in Materials Science and Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 422 pages (1968).